Advice and help for buying scooter

rivan

Hello all,

I am new in here. I hope somebody can put time to give me some advice and sharing his/her knowledge & experience for buying a scooter; Through open chat, private chat, or even if easier I can call the person if he/she prefers.
I want to buy a low speed scooter for first time. I don't know anything about scooter; really ZERO.
I have used much bike and driving car, but never a scooter.

I want to buy a low speed scooter; That I understand it is called maximum 25 km/h in the Netherlands with blue plate that can go in Bike lane only. (I don't want a higher speed scooter)
My usage would be only for about 10-12 km use per day in bike lane; for taking my child from home to school and back (6 km per direction). I guess I should find a way as well to install a seat or something in order to be able that my small child (5-6 years) can sit behind me (I hope it is allowed) little similar to seats we have for Bikes. (You got why I want to buy limited speed, because I don't want to drive at all fast with a child behind me, I even might driver much slower, and surely having helmet for both of us)

I know that there are two type of scooter : Electrical ones (like the models that we see in the street for shared motor-cycles for example Felyx), and Benzin ones. I guess Benzin models are still cheaper & more reliable in for long term usage.

My preference would be buying new scooter. I guess it is more assuring that I a second hand one doesn't make problem, as I am not the person who can judge about a second hand scooter.

Evidently, my budget is limited, so I prefer to buy the simplest & cheapest model that we can buy for use in Netherlands, as much as it is assuring minimum requirement, adapted with my usage mentioned above.

What I don't know - and I need help - is if for example I look online for finding a the cheapest scooter; if the cheapest first-hand model is enough good; Or maybe I should not take the cheapest model, because of any reason that I am ignoring, and it is better to pay little more and taking another model/mark.
Or even which items I should consider (Technical points, options, equipments, or whatever) for choosing an acceptable model/mark.

With thanks in advance for your help and guide.

In case any can help me by PM or via call, please let me know that I share my number or I call you.

Regards,
Rivan

Advertisement - register to remove this

i don't think many people can or want to write in englisch.
i cannot give you advice on scooters..

but.. from jan2023 also a slow scooter need a helmet.

i think you need to look for a Ebike.. save some euro's and buy a middle class bike.

The best scooter for you may be the La Souris City in 25km (blue plate) in petrol.
You can ask in their shop if a child-seat is possible.
Their price (they say) is the lowest in NL € 1199,00. Complete.

People come on this forum often with the same question. Its one that we can never really awnser because there are so many options that are based on preference.

We cant pick one for you, but we can help you make the choice.

If the budget is tight buying used is the best option. If you dont want the hassle dealing with individuals you can go to a dealer. Make sure you go to one that has a lot of good reviews.

Personally I think a brand like kymco and sym are the best budget options. Ive never owned one but have used them for a few years when I delivered pizza's. Those things get abused and rarely break down. And replacement parts are cheap.

Child seats are mendatory for kids younger than 8 years. They need to have back support and something to hold on to. I very much doubt you'll get fined for not having one, but it will be a lot safer. Theres seats for sale online, they arent that expensive. https://www.google.com/search?q=sco...AGIAY4LkgEEMTUuNJgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

The best scooter for you may be the La Souris City in 25km (blue plate) in petrol.
Heb je deze gezien?

People come on this forum often with the same question. Its one that we can never really awnser because there are so many options that are based on preference.

We cant pick one for you, but we can help you make the choice.

If the budget is tight buying used is the best option. If you dont want the hassle dealing with individuals you can go to a dealer. Make sure you go to one that has a lot of good reviews.

Personally I think a brand like kymco and sym are the best budget options. Ive never owned one but have used them for a few years when I delivered pizza's. Those things get abused and rarely break down. And replacement parts are cheap.

Thank you e-Jowan & 4slaf4life,
I was sure 90% of Dutch (At least) are fluent in English. Believe me, I have started my Dutch learning, but still not at level of easy communication.

I prefer to buy new scooter, preventing any problem with used one.
I stay on 25 km/h model.
My feeling is that you propose as well Petrol type; Not Electrical type. Did I understand correctly ?

Even though I prefer low budget, But I don't want to waste money on a bad type while maybe with 100-300 euros more; I can take a more confident model.

e-Jowan advises La Souris model
4slaf4life advises Kymco and Sym models.

I am not a person who looks for fancy, looking beautiful things. The importance is that the scooter is more reliable, faces less problem, and don't make headache for me for repairing.

You are the expert. May I know which brand among La Souris, Kymco, and Sym is more advised by you ?

And for e-Jowan ; when I go to La Souris website; I find different models (after filtering on Petrol & 25 km/h) :
May I know if different models and prices are because of only shape and colors ; Or there is Technically something better in the equipments (like breaking method, motor itself, fuel injection system, lights, extra controlling options, wheel size, or whatever that I ignore) ?
La Souris - City : 1199
La Souris - City S : 1249
La Souris - Sourini S : 1249
La Souris - Sourin : 1299
La Souris - Sourini RS : 1299
La Souris - Sourini R : 1349
La Souris - Sourini RS Limited : 1449
La Souris - City Special Edition : 1549
La Souris - City S Special Edition : 1599

in case any technical, or functioning things is better (That you might guide me or let me know what to check about); Then maybe spending some more euros for having better and more stable and reliable model is preferable than taking the basic model with 1199 euros.

With thanks in advance.

Post automatically merged:

Heb je deze gezien?

Thank you gcs100 ,
Dutch talking; But I should get from title, it is talking about La Souris as a crappy model ! :(
Shall it mean I should forget completely La Souris, and thinking about other model ?

Regards,
Rivan;

Last edited:
la souris isnt a brand I would trust. They are cheap chinese scooters that are trying to look somewhat fancy. You just cant get a good quality new scooter for that price. If you only want new you should expect to pay around 2.000.

And I cant say it enough; buy from a seller that has a positive rating with a lot of reviews, even if it costs a little more. There are countless of reviews of people who got a scooter that arrived broken or broke down within the warranty who spent months of time and a lot of money trying to get it fixed because the dealer was giving them a hard time

la souris isnt a brand I would trust. They are cheap chinese scooters that are trying to look somewhat fancy. You just cant get a good quality new scooter for that price. If you only want new you should expect to pay around 2.000.

And I cant say it enough; buy from a seller that has a positive rating with a lot of reviews, even if it costs a little more. There are countless of reviews of people who got a scooter that arrived broken or broke down within the warranty who spent months of time and a lot of money trying to get it fixed because the dealer was giving them a hard time

Thank you 4slaf4life for explanation.
So your advice is that I take either Kymco models or Sym models, considering they are reliable and with less problem or repairing need.
I guess you considered as well the best ration of "price vs quality" for it.

Any specific model in Kymco or Sym should be looked; Or any of them might be fine ?

Thank you for advice & help.

I have no bad experiences with La Souris. So thad movie is just a case. Not everything is bad over there.
Most scooters have the same motor from china, only the very expensive brand(s) are a bit better (?).

Hi Rivan,
I don't know if you read post#3 from @Super8 correctly but wearing a helmet for the 25km version scooters is coming.
So now opting for a 25 km version seems to me to be a waste of money because after January your scooter suddenly becomes worth a lot less because no one wants to buy a scooter that only travels at 25 kilometers per hour and one also has to wear a helmet.

Thank you @e-Jowan & @4slaf4life,
I was sure 90% of Dutch (At least) are fluent in English. Believe me, I have started my Dutch learning, but still not at level of easy communication.

with our mouth... but on paper... NO..
i live 5 km from the German border... talk like a Germen,, but writing is zero!

Dutch talking; But I should get from title, it is talking about La Souris as a crappy model !
Of de scooters slecht zijn, dat weet ik niet.
Maar als er iets aan mankeert, dan loop je tegen de volgende problemen aan:
Slechte service, onvakkundige reparaties, claimen van de garantie.
Vraag iemand die het filmpje voor je kan vertalen...

Hi Rivan,
I don't know if you read post#3 from @Super8 correctly but wearing a helmet for the 25km version scooters is coming.
So now opting for a 25 km version seems to me to be a waste of money because after January your scooter suddenly becomes worth a lot less because no one wants to buy a scooter that only travels at 25 kilometers per hour and one also has to wear a helmet.

Hi Sparky,
Thank you for the hint.
Indeed I had heard it some months ago in s news site.

Using helmet for 25 km/h will become obligatory; But if I'm right the 25km/h scooters will still be allowed to drive in Bike lane. (While 45km/h scooters are not allowed normally to drive in bike lane)

At least for my use case; I would stay on 25km/h, because I don't want honestly to drive faster for taking my small child from home to/from school with about 5-6 km distance. I drive even slower for his safety. And staying in Bike lane is more assuring, other than going in street with having more risk, and getting stuck in traffic jam. being 1-2-3 minutes late with a lower speed (over 5-6 km distance) doesn't change big thing over decades of age ;)

That is why I still prefer to have blue plate in bike lane (with maximum allowed 25 km/h) even if having helmet for me and the child is obligatory.
Thank you by the way for the hint.

"because after January your scooter suddenly becomes worth a lot less"--> Are you really sure that price of 25 km/h price will drop after January, following application of new law for helmet on 25 km/h scooters ?

Regards;

la souris is a gamble. Not worth it if you ask me. Just ask yourself how they are able to make them for almost half the price. Because it definitely isnt a non-profit orginisation

So your advice is that I take either Kymco models or Sym models, considering they are reliable and with less problem or repairing need.

Any specific model in Kymco or Sym brsnds should be looked; Or any of them might be fine ?

Most people in The Netherlands drive a "snorfiets" (=25kmph bike) due to the fact that they don't have to wear a helmet.
That advantage vanishes after jan 2023 and i presume that a lot of snorscooters come on the market to be sold.

Allmost nobody wants to drive at a speed of a bicycle with a helmet on his/her head while an electrical bikes can drive 25 kmph without a helmet.
I understand your motivation in stil want to buy a snorfiets instead of a bromfiets.

So in this case this new law is positive news for you but only if you buy a second hand one and not a new one.
Because on a new one you lose money the moment you leave the dealers premisis.
With a used one you can negotiate a lower price with the seller due to the fact that you have to wear a helmet and lots of owners want to sell their bike after jan 2023. ;)

Hi Sparky,
Thank you for the hint.
Indeed I had heard it some months ago in s news site.

Using helmet for 25 km/h will become obligatory; But if I'm right the 25km/h scooters will still be allowed to drive in Bike lane. (While 45km/h scooters are not allowed normally to drive in bike lane)

At least for my use case; I would stay on 25km/h, because I don't want honestly to drive faster for taking my small child from home to/from school with about 5-6 km distance. I drive even slower for his safety. And staying in Bike lane is more assuring, other than going in street with having more risk, and getting stuck in traffic jam. being 1-2-3 minutes late with a lower speed (over 5-6 km distance) doesn't change big thing over decades of age ;)

That is why I still prefer to have blue plate in bike lane (with maximum allowed 25 km/h) even if having helmet for me and the child is obligatory.
Thank you by the way for the hint.

"because after January your scooter suddenly becomes worth a lot less"--> Are you really sure that price of 25 km/h price will drop after January, following application of new law for helmet on 25 km/h scooters ?

Regards;

Any specific model in Kymco or Sym brsnds should be looked; Or any of them might be fine ?

If you buy an occasion from say Sym you can buy one in the same state and mileage, but an Orbit will be cheaper than a Fiddle or Mio.
This is because nowadays People like a retro-look

If you buy an occasion from say Sym you can buy one in the same state and mileage, but an Orbit will be cheaper than a Fiddle or Mio.
This is because nowadays People like a retro-look

How many brands are there for a simple 25km/h scooter !?!

Kymco
Sym
Orbit
Fiddle
Mio
La Souris (not considered)

Back